International Mechanical CodeIMC 2015 IMC 2018
Need to meet ventilation code for your nail salon?
HealthyAir® Source Capture® Outside Ventilation Systems are your solution!
For new nail salons, IMC Ventilation Code (IMC 2015/2018) requires a source capture system that:
is capable of exhausting a minimum of 50 CFM per nail station
has at least one exhaust inlet, for each nail station, that is not more than 12 inches from the point of chemical application
exhausts all source capture air from each nail station out of the nail salon and into the outdoor atmosphere (i.e. Outside Ventilation, Outside Venting, Outside Vent)
IMC Compliant Options
All Healthy Air® Source Capture® Outside Ventilation Systems meet and exceed IMC ventilation code requirements for source capture systems in nail salons.
Depending on design preferences, cost considerations, and mechanical parameters, the following systems may be utilized:
- HealthyAir® Source Capture Air Purification System G4 - Dual Inlet - Outside Vent
- HealthyAir® Source Capture Air Purification System G4 - Single Inlet - Outside Vent
- HealthyAir® Ceiling-Mount Source Capture Air Purification System - Dual Inlet - Outside Vent
- HealthyAir® Source Capture Fan-Filter Exhauster - Dual Inlet - Outside Vent
In addition to code compliance, the benefits of utilizing HealthyAir® Source Capture® Outside Ventilation Systems to safely exhaust treated air out of the salon include the following:
- The clean air output of each system can be applied to the total 0.6 CFM/ft2 that is required to be exhausted from overall salon air, which in turn conserves energy and saves money. (IMC 2015 Table 403.3.1.1 for Nail Salons b, h).
- Prevents contaminated air from re-entering the salon and/or entering adjacent facilities, thereby eliminating potential problems for neighboring businesses or residents.
- Prevents nail dust from accumulating in ductwork and creating potential hazards.
Minimum Ventilation RatesTable 403.3.1.1
Occupancy ClassificationNail Salons b,h
Occupancy #/1000 Ft225
People Outdoor Airflow Rate in Breathing Zone20
Area Outdoor Airflow Rate in Breathing Zone0.12
Exhaust Airflow Rate CFM/ Ft20.6
b. Mechanical exhaust required and the recirculation of air from such spaces is prohibited. Recirculation of air that is contained completely within such spaces shall not be prohibited.
h. For nail salons, each manicure and pedicure station shall be provided with a source capture system capable of exhausting not less than 50 cfm per station. Exhaust inlets shall be located in accordance with Section 502.2. Where one or more required source capture system operate continuously during occupancy, the exhaust rate from such systems shall be permitted to be applied to the exhaust flow rate required by Table 403.3.1.1 for the nail salon.
Section 502.20 Manicure and Pedicure Stations. Manicure and pedicure stations shall be provided with an exhaust system in accordance with Table 403.3.1.1h. Manicure tables and pedicure stations not provided with factory-installed exhaust inlets shall be provided with exhaust inlets located not more than 12 inches horizontally and vertically from the point of chemical application.